Service directory for children with a special educational need or disability

Our directory of local services contains providers of services that have been accredited by us for families with children that have special educational needs and a disability (SEND).  

The accreditation scheme will help families understand how services accommodate the needs of all children, young people and their families better. We have carried out checks to ensure the suitability and safety of these services. Once accredited, providers themselves have a responsibility to ensure that they maintain these quality standards.  

As we continue to develop the directory, it will include a range of services such as mentoring, personal assistant services, friendship clubs and other inclusive activities such as residential breaks. We are also adding activities that take place both during school holidays and weekends, as well as during term time. You will have a choice of services you may want to use. 

You can search the directory of accredited services as well as see other organisations who are not part of the scheme, but have services available to offer families.  

We also commission a number or organisations under our short breaks for children with disabilities scheme.  This includes activities for children and young people, usually away from home, that enable them to have fun and time with their peers.  At the same time it gives parents, carers and siblings a break from their caring role. Activities can be for the whole family, as well as for children and young people away from their family or carers. The length of these activities may range from a few hours to longer periods. You can read more about short breaks in the following articles: 'Short breaks for children with disabilities' and 'Types of short breaks available and how to access them'.

The services in the directory and the commissioned short breaks should provide all children and young people with the opportunity to meet with other children, have fun and take part in inclusive everyday activities. 

If your child has been assessed by social care as requiring a social care package, where you may be eligible for a personal social care budget and/or a direct payment, you can use the directory to see if any of the services can help support the needs of your child. The service will indicate on the directory if they accept direct payments.   

Some of the services may be available to you or your child without a direct payment, either for free, a small donation or a fixed charge.  

If you know of an organisation, or if you are an organisation that would like to apply to become an accredited service for children with SEND with South Gloucestershire Council, you can contact Andrew Gregory (Commissioning Officer) who will guide you through the application process.